Saturday 1 September 2012

Musicals


You know, if I had a dollar for every time someone said to me, in response to my statement that I love musical theatre – 'Oh, I don't like musicals. They're really quite silly' – then I would have enough money to finally form a theatre company to perform, in repertory, my favourite shows 'Carrie' and 'Dance of the Vampires' ...

Everyone loves musicals: most people just don't know it. We've all been in, or been to, a musical more than once in our lives; you know you've tapped your toes and walked around the next day humming a tune from a show. We've all danced to 'The Time Warp', which is from the musical 'The Rocky Horror Show'. We all have classic songs that we love; many of them are from musicals. 'Send in the Clowns'? It's from Stephen Sondheim's musical, 'A Little Night Music'. We all love Hugh Jackman. How'd he get his start? In musicals. And everyone over the age of ten can sing a two consecutive lines from any song in My Fair Lady.

So, please don't go around saying you hate musicals. I mean, really. I put up with your conversations about football, babies and public transport: they're all loving and valid choices. Why aren't musicals?!

1 comment: